Sunday, December 31, 2006

P3 Ultimate Monopod - Savage Shooters

P3 Ultimate Monopod
by Savage Shooters

Every once in a while, a new product comes along that deserves a good looking at. The P-3 monopod from
CTK Precision is just such a product. Most of us rely on a good front rest and rear bag combination to achieve accuracy from the bench, or a bipod and beanie baby rear bag for the field. So what about the times that a rear bag is not practical, or might be a tad heavy to carry? In the case of my wife, rear bags are not only uncomfortable, but very awkward to use. Personally, I'm a bag squeezer from way back, using my off hand to fine tune the elevation of my shot. My wife, on the other hand, usually chucks the rear bag in favor of a clenched fist to rest the butt stock on. While her shooting can be very good, using the clenched fist method is not very conducive to repeatability.

We decided to test the P-3 monopod on my wife's new Stevens 200 built for mid to long range varmint and target shooting. Under normal circumstances, this rifle wears a Harris bench rest bipod. She prefers using a clenched fist in place of a rear bag while shooting, a situation we are hoping to correct with the P-3 monopod. Let's take a look at the product itself, so we can show you some of its unique features, making it the best in its class that I have tested. First and most obviously, is the fact that this is it not a folding model, rather a fixed, quick detach model more conducive to a solid rear rest. I have owned several rear monopods in the past, but every one of them has been a folding model of some type. The problem with this type of monopod is that it always folds at the most inopportune moments (usually while lining up a shot) resulting in a botched shot, pinched skin in my armpit or a broken rear sling stud. This is the first model I have tested that is both fixed and fully adjustable for elevation.


Click here to read the entire review.

No comments: